- Iowa family died in Mexico after propane gas leak in condo, autopsies reveal
- Faulty Water Heater to Blame for Deaths of Iowa Family of Four in Mexico, Police Say
- Iowa Family of 4 Died on Vacation in Mexico by Inhaling Gas From Faulty Water Heater
- Shock, worry and wonder: Inside the Mexican vacation complex where an Iowa family died
Iowa family died in Mexico after propane gas leak in condo, autopsies reveal
Iowa family found dead in Mexicofull your for how
Autopsies indicate an Iowa couple and their two children died from inhaling toxic gas at a rented condo on Mexico's Caribbean coast, but there was no sign of foul play or suicide, Mexican authorities said Saturday. The prosecutors' office in the Caribbean coast state of Quintana Roo said that "the cause of death was asphyxiation from inhaling toxic gases. Photos released by the office showed investigators in anti-contamination suits and firefighters with air tanks examining gas connections to a stove in the condo in Tulum. The office said investigators "carried out a physical investigation of the gas connections in the room," and the civil defense office of Tulum would issue a technical report on the findings. In , the explosion of an improperly installed gas line at a hotel in the nearby town of Playa del Carmen killed five Canadian tourists and two Mexicans.
A gas leak suspected of killing an American family in Mexico is believed to have come from the boiler in their vacation rental, a Mexican official said Monday. Kevin and Amy Sharp and children Sterling, 12, and Adrianna, 7, were found dead on Friday at the Tulum condominium where they were staying. Over the weekend, Mexican authorities said the family was killed by "asphyxia by inhalation of toxic gases," although they didn't say what type of gas had killed them and had not identified the source. On Monday, Miguel Angel Pech, state attorney for the Yucatan Peninsula state of Quintana Roo, told Mexican talk radio network Radio Formula that authorities were eyeing the boiler as the cause of the leak. A "high charge" of gas was escaping from the boiler, Pech said, adding that that was possibly due to a lack of maintenance or just overuse. Authorities are still running tests to confirm what the gas in the resort condo was, and whether the boiler leak was indeed the cause of death.
CNN An Iowa couple and their two children died from inhaling toxic gas while vacationing in Mexico, local authorities said. Chat with us in Facebook Messenger. Find out what's happening in the world as it unfolds. More Videos Police: Family died from inhaling toxic gas The bodies of Kevin Wayne Sharp; his wife, Amy Marie Sharp; their son, Sterling, 12; and daughter Adrianna, 7, were discovered Friday at a rental condominium in the beach town of Tulum. The family had been dead for about 36 to 48 hours, the Quintana Roo prosecutor's office said Saturday.
The family of four was found after relatives reported them missing. Click here to get breaking crime news, ongoing trial coverage and details of intriguing unsolved cases in the True Crime Newsletter. The family was scheduled to check out of the condo and fly back to the United States on March However, their deaths went undiscovered until their relatives reported them missing the following day. If you have opted in for our browser push notifications, and you would like to opt-out, please refer to the following instructions depending on your device and browser. For turning notifications on or off on Google Chrome and Android click here , for Firefox click here , for Safari click here and for Microsoft's Edge click here.
Faulty Water Heater to Blame for Deaths of Iowa Family of Four in Mexico, Police Say
American family of four dies of toxic gas in Mexico
Iowa Family of 4 Died on Vacation in Mexico by Inhaling Gas From Faulty Water Heater
The family of four was found in the condo they rented in a tourist complex in Tulum, Mexico. The family of four from Iowa who were found dead in their condominium in Mexico last month were suffocated by gas from a faulty water heater, Mexican police said. She said they have not yet received a call from the U. The Sharp family was found dead in a condominium in a Mexican resort. Police believe they went to the beach after discovering sand in their rental car. Officials said they believe the family returned to the room to wash up.
Authorities discovered Kevin and Amy Sharp and their children, Sterling, 12, and Adrianna, 7, dead inside a penthouse condominium March 23 at the Tao complex after asphyxiating from inhaling toxic gas. A local prosecutor pinpointed a faulty water heater as the culprit of the gas leak. Mexican officials have said they suspect no foul play in the case. More: Water heater blamed for death of Iowa family in Mexican condo had rusted in humid climate, police say. While the beachy Riviera Maya region of Mexico feels a world away from Iowa, the community here finds itself as shocked and saddened as the Sharps' hometown of Creston, 1, miles away. Expatriates from the United States and Mexican natives alike are still trying to comprehend how such a tragic thing could have occurred in one of the continent's most popular vacation regions.
Shock, worry and wonder: Inside the Mexican vacation complex where an Iowa family died